Lesson Reflection 1

 When reflecting upon my lesson, there is a lot I would do differently. I am my most prominent critic. I find that even when a lesson is excellent…I find ways to poke holes in it. This was my first observation teaching in a particular education class, so it is arguably more nerve-wracking. I am still learning. Differentiation with this many levels is something I am taking on with pride. I know I need to get better at it, period, but I feel that I have a soft place to land if I mess it up. 

I wish we would have chosen to do reading later in the day. I think doing it first is hard for the kids. They are barely awake and are not ready to jump in. This morning they were all disengaged despite my best efforts. I didn’t feel like they were really grasping what I was saying. When we went into small groups, I thought I was able to make some headway with my group. It took a lot to get J to participate. He is not excited to begin working, but he is typically a rockstar once he starts. For San, the trick is to get him to slow down and pay close attention. He reads to read and not to comprehend. I really wanted him to focus on reading to comprehend. I made him go back into the passage to look for his answers. He could complete the assignment once asked to go back and slow down. 


The rocket passage seemed to get the kids excited. They have a wide variety of interests, and with such a short time we are with them, it is hard to honestly know their interests. I think Katie and I have done a great job engaging them in conversations to get to know them. I think this has shown how our classroom management has gone. We indeed have been lucky enough to have kiddos who are good by nature, but I think our abilities to get to know them have helped with our management. Not all kids want to come to summer school, but we are doing our best to make it as fun as possible. 


I want to work on my lesson planning. I always have been underprepared on paper but over-prepped in my head. I struggle to put all my thoughts on paper and to be super detailed. I know for the upcoming lesson to work on HLP and create a more substantial crisis plan.

I am looking forward to the challenge of creating a more detailed lesson plan and pushing myself. 

Comments

  1. Hey Miss M, I think your lesson went great. I know it is difficult getting the kiddos engaged early in the morning. I think you did awesome in your lessons and your small group activities for each student. I am really impressed with how you handled the class and the classroom management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed observing you and you were doing your best to engage the students. They seemed very sluggish and slow to get going that morning. Sometimes that happens. If you think it would be better to rearrange your schedule and do reading later, you might want to do that. Nothing is written in stone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Blog

Final Reflection